Starting an Eyelash Extension Business
Have you wanted to start doing Lash Services and do not know where to start? It may be scary to jump into the world of entrepreneurships, but it is actually so exciting!! This is a rapidly growing industry and there is not better time than now to jump all in and building your own profitable business. Start paying attention when you are out and about. There are so many with Lash Extension, lash lifts, brow lamination and waxing. People want to make themselves look better quicker. When these services are provided to customers it makes their morning routine that much easier. It is not a trend or a fad. These services have been around for centuries. They have just evolved into various techniques and processes. I am going to help you get started with a few simple steps.
Steps To Starting and Eyelash Extension Business
- State Regulations. There are so many states that have varying license requirements for that specific state. Utah requires a cosmetology or esthetician license. Whereas Idaho that is located right next to Utah, has no regulations on lash services. Some states such as Texas, has a lash extension license. It is important to contact your states Department of Professional Licensing to make sure you can provide these services. Once you learn about what requirements are in your state find a local school that offers the licensing training that you need prior to learning lash extension services.
- Get certified. Did you know that lash stuff offers 4 different certifications? They offer Lash lift, Brow lamination, lash and brow tinting and brow waxing certifications. Certificates are not a legal document to meet the need of state requirements. It shows your clientele and potential clientele you have gone above and beyond to learn a new service. Some customers may not know the difference between a license and certification. It is up to you to educate your customers what sets you apart from other artists and it is your continuing education and commitment to learn new services.
- You got this. We all create our own self doubt or wonder if we can achieve something. I am here to tell you, that you can. You have the ability to do what ever you create a plan for and goals for. You have now come this far it is time to get started in building your future is this amazing industry. You now need to decide if you want to go into booth rent and work for yourself. There are start us costs to consider such as rent, inventory and supplies. You also need to plan on having slow days while you are building. You may not be profitable for a little bit when you first start. Some artists decide to stay working a 2nd job until they make enough to just do lashes full time. Others may look for a commission salon to learn more and feel more comfortable with their trade and have more consistent income coming in. Either way, you have to decide what is best for you and your situation.
- Business Plan. Creating goals and a pathway to get there is important. Creating your own roadmap and bite size goals with ensure you will be more likely to be successful. Start with where you want your business to be in 5 years, 3 years and 1 year and 30-day goals. Creating bite size goals for each milestone.
- 30-day goal and action example.
- Spend less than 15% on product per service.
- Every 30 days you will update your goals for the next 30 days.
- 1 year goal example
- Be able to do lashes full time
- Need to bring in $1000 a week revenue
- Average ticket $75 you would need 13 guests per week.
- Most lash clients are seen every 3 weeks, which mean you would need a client
- list of 39 lash extension clients.
- If you achieve your goal every 30 days and add 1 new client per week you would have 52 lash clients by the end of 1 year. This will allow you to lose 25% of those clients that you gain.
Using the S.M.A.R.T Goal breakdown is a user-friendly format to use when creating goals. It stands for specific, measurable, actionable, retainable and time bound. By updating goals every 30 days your plan can evolve. Maybe you are gaining clientele as quickly as you like. You can increase your actions to try and obtain more. If you are only posting 3 x per week on social media, you can increase to 5 days per week.
If you are only hoping your customers and talking and sending their friends your way. You could ask every single guest and create an incentive for your customer to refer their friends and family to you. Or if something isn’t working you can try something else. Goals can forever change and evolve over time. Your 5-year, 3 year and 1-year goals may change over time too. That is ok. It is a living document. The more you plan and prioritize you will be more successful.